Baked Cheese Grits
Posted on 15 December 2012
Colleen is not a big fan of plain grits but, when made with bacon and cheese, everyone loves grits! This is a fairly easy recipe to make and serves about 6. It’s great for taking to a holiday dinner and is easy to double.
To double, I suggest making up a batch of grits the previous day. After Sabina and I each have a breakfast bowl full, refrigerate the leftovers then, when making this recipe, mix with the hot grits to warm up.
I’ve also found that sprinkling and dusting the casserole dish with bread crumbs (after greasing) gives the grits a subtle crunch around the edges after baking.
- Baked Cheese Grits
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices bacon — cooked crispy, and crumbled
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Grease a 2-quart casserole with 2 tbsp butter.
- Combine bacon grease and water in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. When mixture comes to a simmer, add grits and stir until thoroughly combined. Continue cooking grits until thickened, stirring frequently. About 15-20 minutes.
- While grits are cooking, whisk together egg and cream.
- Stir egg mixture into cooked grits along with bacon crumbles, Gruyere, and Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for until set, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand (at least) 5 minutes before serving.